Monday, November 1, 2010

Establishing and Maintaining relationships with children.

Stop:
From the very beginning the children at the centre I work at have always been really bubbly, fun and loveable. For the first few weeks being a Monday or a Friday there were usually only about 20 children or under because the two days I go there are the quietest. Plus it was winter and colds were going around. I got to know the children that were at the centre very well within the first few weeks, which is cool because it made it so much easier for me to work and play with them. I have been called whaea from the first day and now get called Nana, Mum and Aunty. I now have a group of children who will follow me everywhere or ask me to join them in their games. It’s pretty awesome to be with these children I have learnt so much about how they should be treated and what makes them tick. On my first few days I learnt all the children’s names and even got a few girls talking about the movie Boy. They liked the part where Boy calls his brother different kinds of eggs like; you’re a rotten egg, scrambled egg, poached etc. I told them I liked that part to and we had a good laugh,we started to talk about what kind of eggs we like. I think being younger I can get along with the children a lot easier. I now have a group of children who will follow me everywhere or ask me to join them in their games. It’s pretty awesome to be with these children I have learnt so much about how they should be treated and what makes them tick.


Think:
I feel the children trust me a lot more now then when I first came in, though they were a little trusting to start off with, making me feel welcomed and like I belonged. The children at my centre taught me that relationships with children can be a lot easier with children than with adults. Since spending so much time with the children I feel that I know a lot about them as a person, what they like to play with, what they enjoy the most when they are at the centre. They taught me that even though they are little ratbags, they try their best to be good and are prepared for 
their journey of growing older. When the two girls and I talked about The movie Boy, I should have talked about how calling others names isn’t funny or very nice and can hurt peoples feelings. The children do have a tendency to call each other names but soon stop when they get called something not very nice. I think its important that I should have told the children that calling people names is mean and tried to make it a lesson as well as fun, this is one thing I would like to learn while I am at my centre.


Change:
I think the one thing I would change is to be more confident in being able to talk to children about serious things or situations that arise when they talk to eachother as well as talking with me or any of the staff. Letting them know what is wrong and right about what they do and how they could treat another person. I want to be able to give sound advice that they can take away and learn from.




2 comments:

  1. So how are you going to do this Arnia, what stratgies are you going to use. From your entries you seem to seperate learning from fun when in fact it is an amalgamation of the two. How often does the centre have visitors or students? Children who are in centres which have alot of students coming and going and visitors, they tend to be alot more friendly than others. I don't think age is a factor either with children, it's the relationships that they form with individuals whether they trust you or not is the most important aspect here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent seen any visitors and there is only 3 students including me. Who I dont see at all. So I only see the children interact with staff.

    ReplyDelete